Tuesday 7 January 2014

Evaluation DVD sleeve

Hey fellow internet users.

When creating my DVD sleeve I looked at the purpose, content, reception and the audience of other DVD sleeves. Every DVD sleeve has three faces that is the front cover, the back cover and the spine of the sleeve. When researching about DVD sleeves I analysed Harry Potter, This is the end and Angus thongs and perfect snogging DVD sleeves. When researching different DVD sleeves I mostly looked at Harry Potter as this format of DVD sleeve was very similar to mine as both films have action. When creating my DVD sleeve I looked at the aspects of creating a similar look towards the Harry Potter sleeve, for example the Harry Potter sleeve uses a narrative background on the back face of the character Voldormort, this character is the villain of the film as I have used the Character Kate as the character is vulnerable trying to fight her way from the villain in You can Run but you kant hide as the DVD sleeve is looking towards a older age range of 15+. 

My final product is a stalker horror DVD sleeve. Before making my final piece I wrote a proposal on what I wanted my product to look like. In my proposal I explained that my main focus for my DVD sleeve would be an abandoned shed which will be highlighted from the rest if the sleeve, this is very similar as what I have created is an abandon shed as my back ground which is a lot lighter than anything else in the background as everything else is much darker and gritty looking, I have used this techniques because I want the audience feel as if they are being pulled into the shed. I have made the character much darker than everything else in the DVD sleeve because it gives off the impression that he is dangerous and that there is a dark soul inside him waiting to give out an attack to the vulnerable. My main focus on my DVD sleeve is different to the focus on my movie poster as I have used the main character Ben where as in the movie poster I used Kate as the main focus. This is because I wanted the audience to feel as if Kate is the villain in the film as this character looks as if she is running towards the audience, this creates more of a twist and surprise when the audience watches the film. 

The thing's that I felt went well when creating the DVD sleeve would be who I lightened up the abandoned shed behind the villain to show the audience that this is the location where the story is happening. This gives more of an impact on how creepy and how much the main character is actually a psycho.

The things that I felt went bad when creating the DVD sleeve would be the type face on the spine of the sleeve. The reason why I feel like this part of the DVD sleeve isn't as good as other parts of the sleeve is because it is really hard to read what it is saying, as the colours blend in with the background. I also needed to change the colour of the word 'But' as if I kept this word the same colour as the other words, the audience would be able to see the word creating confusion.

If I was to improve the DVD sleeve I would to lighten up the whole of the cover and use the different colours as this DVD sleeve is very dark and glum and makes it hard for the audience to read the text that has been put on the sleeve to help the audience know what the film is about and the different features used within the film.

The differences and similarities that my DVD sleeve has towards the DVD sleeve Harry Potter have are that the similarity between You can't run but you kan hide and Harry Potter is that in the back face Harry Potter has a narrative back drop for their back ground of Voldermort fighting with his wand out. As on my back face I have a narrative back drop of the character Kate lying down in the floor injured. The difference between my DVD sleeve and the Harry Porter DVD sleeve is that in the Harry Potter sleeve they have uses scene picture from the film where is on my sleeve my content does not include scene pictures and has a small description about the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment